Monday, July 11, 2005

CHEKIT: Neuron Network Goes Awry, and Brain Becomes an IPod


I think this would be disorienting at first, and kind of cool for an hour or two – and then it would drive me absolutely donkey-piss crazy-go-nuts:
Seven years ago Reginald King was lying in a hospital bed recovering from bypass surgery when he first heard the music.

It began with a pop tune, and others followed. Mr. King heard everything from cabaret songs to Christmas carols. "I asked the nurses if they could hear the music, and they said no," said Mr. King, a retired sales manager in Cardiff, Wales.


"I got so frustrated," he said. "They didn't know what I was talking about and said it must be something wrong with my head. And it's been like that ever since."

Whenever I read about an illness as fascinating and freakish as this one, I’m afraid my own body - bored with its pedestrian gastroenterological mishaps - will spontaneously develop a similar malady. Although, with my luck, my brain would play “Hollaback Girl” in a continuous loop until I managed to drive a wooden spoon handle deep enough into my left nostril.

Anyway – Good luck to you, Mr. King.

No comments: