Wednesday, January 11, 2006

MUZIK: A mosquito, a libido, buona sera?


Listen - I know some of you think I listen to some wack-ass shit, but believe me - everything that has come before steps aside and bows its head when Dokaka walks into the room. Ask my man at Said the Gramophone - he knows the deal:
Okay we've all heard those goofy covers by college acapella groups, jazz-hands fellows doing vocal acrobatics 'round "Creep" or, yeah, this one too. But what makes Dokaka special is that he's a Japanese beatbox guy who sounds totally insane. As he loops and loops his voice, it's as if a goblin is ripping its face off, running from the dragonflies, a demon being devoured by the rock'n'roll that Nirvana brought. I do clowning when I can, I really do - a theatrical clown in the tradition of LeCoq and stuff, - and Dokaka reminds me of a clown's reaction to a tune like this. Too much feeling to keep it in - being driven gladly, gladly mad by the whoosh of music, gibberish streaming out of your voice like a cartoon-bubble of epithets and delirious grinning birds. And I swear that in the chorus he's speaking italian, offering a friendly "Bona sera!"
I can't help but thinking that Kurt would've loved this version. And other Dokaka stuff, too.

No comments: