Thursday, February 23, 2006

MUZIK: Sufjan, Matthew Sweet (MATTHEW SWEET!), Susanna Hoffs, and all the gravy and mashed potatoes in the world.


God bless that bastard Stereogum. Not only is there a cool post about a Spin interview with indie-rock pimp Sufjan -
SUFJAN STEVENS: I don't have the inclination to discover new music. Honestly, I don't really care.
- but later on, Sufjan goes on to talk about one of his favorite albums (a bewildering, but totally awesome choice) -
SUFJAN STEVENS: The Bangles' Everything. This is the first tape I ever bought with my own money. They wrote great songs, were talented performers, and they were supermodels. I know they were ripping off early girl-punk bands from the '70s, but there was something about the way they did it. It was so streamlined and well crafted. This is the one indulgence from the Top 40 that I still like.
And then Stereogum really drops the hammer: Matthew Sweet and Susanna Hoffs are putting out an album of sixties covers.
Matthew Sweet & Susanna Hoffs Under The Covers
01. I See The Rain (The Marmalade)
02. And Your Bird Can Sing (The Beatles)
03. It’s All Over Now, Baby Blue (Bob Dylan)
04. Who Knows Where The Time Goes? (Fairport Convention)
05. Cinnamon Girl (Neil Young And Crazy Horse)
06. Alone Again Or (Love)
07. Warmth Of The Sun (The Beach Boys)
08. Different Drum (The Stone Poneys)
09. The Kids Are Alright (The Who)
10. Sunday Morning (The Velvet Underground)
11. Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere (Neil Young)
12. Care Of Cell ..44 (The Zombies)
13. Monday Monday (The Mamas And The Papas)
14. She May Call You Up Tonight (The Left Banke)
15. Run To Me (The Bee Gees)
Matthew Sweet is one of my favorite musicians of all time. During the mid-nineties, I played Girlfriend and Altered Beast until the motor on my CD player whined and smoked in protest. And Susanna Hoffs, in addition to fronting one of the better bands of the eighties, is still HOT LIKE A PRETZEL. And now they're together covering the Beathes and the Beach Boys. And now I'm gonna need some quiet time alone.

Listen to three tracks from the new album here. And get down on your knees and thank the lo' you read this blog.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

mofo. I was just looking at those postings in Stereogum today. Freaky. Anyway, "Girlfriend" is a great song and I wish they had posted The Who cover.

Also, you may have missed it, but Stereogum posted a clip from the upcoming Chinese Democracy album from GNR. No, I am not kidding.