Friday, June 17, 2005

CHEKIT: "Blue Moon Detective Agency."


There was an NPR interview with The Sopranos’ David Chase a few years back, where he makes the case that - more so than any other form - the episodic television series of today are the greatest stages for character development in the history of story. And that long before the Six Feet Unders, the Sopranos-es, the Gilmore Girls and the Buffys, at the dawn of this modern era of dramedy - there was David and Maddie.

If you don't know how cool Moonlighting was - is - ever will be - then you never will know - or haven't seen it yet. If you missed the reruns on Bravo a few years back, get down on your knees and shout up to God "Thank you, Lord, for the bounty of this day!"

Seasons 1 & 2 were recently released on DVD.

Recently, I asked Weeble: Hey - why do you think Moonlighting rocks out so hard?

And in reply, I got this:

This is all I have to say:

David Addison: We're looking for a man with a mole on his nose.
Security Officer: A mole on his nose?
Maddie Hayes: A mole on his nose.
Security Officer: [to Maddie] What kind of clothes?
Maddie Hayes: [to David] What kind of clothes?
David Addison: What kind of clothes do you suppose?
Security Officer: What kind of clothes do I suppose would be worn by a man with a mole on his nose? Who knows?
David Addison: Did I happen to mention, did I bother to disclose, that this man that we're seeking with the mole on his nose? I'm not sure of his clothes or anything else, except he's Chinese, a big clue by itself.
Maddie Hayes: How do you do that?
David Addison: Gotta read a lot of Dr. Seuss.
Security Officer: I'm sorry to say, I'm sad to report, I haven't seen anyoneat all of that sort. Not a man who's Chinese with a mole on his nose with some kind of clothes that you can't suppose. So get away from this door and get out of this place, or I'll have to hurt you - put my foot in your face.

"Some walk by night, babe...we'll fly by day..."

No comments: